Tuesday, August 28, 2012

49 - Sleep in the Wild


 
Ethan, Gavin and Mikey have experienced sleeping outdoors on many occasions in several different settings. They have all been involved in Boy Scouts of America as cub scouts. Recently Gavin has 'crossed over' into Boy Scouts and has had the experience of wilderness camping as well as sleeping at a campsite. The camp Gavin slept at has open flap platform tents - open to the air and whatever might be sharing that space.
 
My boys have also been sleeping in the yard for several years. Now and then they will decide to set up camp in the backyard and "campout" for the night. Recently, Gavin and his friend camped outside in his friend's large, Long Island backyard.
 


 
These two boys also engaged in Dangerous Things #28, #43 and #45 all in the same evening! That's just how they roll ;) As I write, Gavin is packing to leave for another friend's house and I have heard that their options for sleeping are the loft of a barn and a previously hand-constructed shelter the two friends built recently.
 
I am sure these traditions will continue in (or rather outside of) my house. Soon they will have to take their little brother out and initiate him into the clan called "They-Who-Sleep-Out-In-The-Yard".
 
I love when they sleep out there - it's just so good for them and everyone should do it at some point. I hope my boys gets lots of opportunities to sleep under the stars. Have your kids slept in the yard?
 
 
Dangerous? Depends on who your ask. I have had strange reactions from people to allowing my kids to sleep in the yard. I have been asked if I'm worried about animals - nope, or people 'stealing' them - nope. I am not afraid and I think it is good and safe and a wonderful experience.
 
“The woods were my Ritalin. Nature calmed me, focused me, and yet excited my senses.”
Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

No comments:

Post a Comment