Monday, July 16, 2012

While Gavin's Away, The Kids Will Play

Gavin left for a much awaited week of Boy Scout Camp. He was eager to be out in the woods with his friends, working towards his first merit badges and conquering his own anxiety about being away from home. He did all those things...while I mostly worried.

I didn't worry about him getting hurt, as I knew that he was in good hands. Now that I think about it, there was nothing in particular that really worried me, it was just the separation that rarely happens in our family and we were both a little anxious about it. I'll bet Dennis was too, but it's not his style to share that.

Gavin worked through nervous episodes and some sleeplessness with his scout leaders and the teenage patrol leaders. I am sure they bestowed upon him a different set of skills than I have - and that's good stuff!

He did fantastic, earning his first *4* merit badges, his Totin' Chip (ability to use a knife, ax and saw at scout events) and an optional patch for Duty to God for participating in religous services.

The dynamic in the house changed drastically with Gavin away and Ethan at his summer program for most of the day. Mikey and Sean had only each other all day and that set us up for some really fun activities.

Sean asked to make his own cookies. With Mikey off reading for his summer reading minutes - it was just him and I. He donned his little apron and mixed and cut them all by himself!






Sean attends a library program for preschoolers on Tuesdays. Mikey and Gavin usually stay home, but this time Mikey came along! Story and a craft can be fun for everyone :) (I suspected Mikey could have a good time here when an older brother wasn't watching!)



Another day, we went and picked up Mikey's sister for a day of playing and sibling bonding. It worked out really nicely for her and Mikey to only have to mostly deal with each other. They easily fit into a rhythm with each other and it is always fun.




We also took a chance to visit Land of Make Believe, without someone who may or may not have implied that LOMB is not 'cool'. It was totally cool - if your about 9 and under!







It was stressful for me to have Gavin at camp, but I used my time wisely to have a little 2 on 1 time with my youngest two children. Although Ethan happily joined the fray in the afternoons, it was a really different experience. So today - I blog for 2 boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment